Changing Your Address

How To Change Your Address With USPS

Moving a household can seem like a never-ending project. It comes with a mile-long to-do list. Fortunately, there are some tasks on your list that are a breeze to accomplish and check off. One of those is changing your address with the U.S. Postal Service.

To be sure your mail is forwarded from your old address to your new home, you’ll need to fill out a change of address form with USPS. There are several ways to file your change of address; let’s walk through the process.

How do I get the form?


  • Online
    Go to This change of address page will explain how you should complete the form. With this option, you may either fill the form out online or print it out and print by hand. You can then mail it (there is no postage required) or turn it in at your local Post Office.
  • In person
    Stop by your local Post Office. If you’re out running errands, you can stop and pick up a change of address form (PS Form 3575) at your local USPS office. Either fill it out and turn it in there or grab it to complete later. If you happen to see your mail carrier when your mail is delivered, you can request that he or she deliver the form to you.
  • By phone
    Call USPS. You can request the change of address by calling the USPS at 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777).

Verification fee

For both the online and phone change of address options, you’ll be charged a $1 verification fee. USPS will take credit card information from you and match that address with your current mailing address on file. This anti-fraud precaution allows USPS to verify that you, the authorized party, are changing your address.

When should I fill out the form?

USPS has guidelines that address the timing of completing your change of address form when you’re moving.

  • Complete it at least two weeks before you move. Ideally, you’ll have the necessary information two weeks before your move. Why not get this task done and mark it off your checklist?
  • The earliest you can submit your form is three months before your moving date. So even if you’re gung-ho about getting it done, keep this time frame in mind.

Remember that according to USPS, it can take seven to ten days after you submit the form for your mail to start arriving at the new address.

How do I fill out my change of address form?

Well, that’s a reasonable question— what info does USPS require on the form?

  • Only the addressee is allowed to fill out the change of address form, unless the person doing so on their behalf is their official guardian, authorized officer, executor or agent.
  • Check the box indicating if you’re an individual, a family or a business.
  • Check the box that asks if the change of address is temporary or permanent. (Temporary is defined as less than 12 months, over 12 months is considered permanent.)
  • Fill in date to begin forwarding your mail.
  • Fill in your old (current) mailing address including city, state and zip code.
  • Write your new mailing address with city, state, zip code and apartment or suite number if applicable.
  • Sign and date the form.

Tell service providers

While you’re in change of address mode, tell your credit card companies, utilities and magazine/newspaper subscription departments. Call customer service or update your mailing address on their websites. USPS only forwards periodicals for 60 days, so you’ll need to alert these providers during that time frame.

Here’s a resource with additional change of address links: 5 Helpful Change of Address Links